Biography: Michael D. Klemm
Michael offers practical advice and effective representation regarding land use regulation and development, real estate transactions and common interest communities. He is an MSBA Certified Real Property Law Specialist, and he has repeatedly been recognized as a “Rising Star” by Mpls.St.Paul Magazine and Twin Cities Business.
Prior to joining Hellmuth & Johnson, Michael represented several Minnesota cities and worked with urban planners and civil engineers regarding residential, commercial and industrial developments. He also served as chairman of several municipal boards and commissions, including a planning commission, board of adjustment and appeals and environmental advisory committee. Michael has extensive experience with subdivisions, plats, development agreements, business subsidies, zoning, conditional use permits and variances.
Michael also has represented clients in hundreds of residential and commercial real estate transactions, including acquisitions, construction, financing, leasing and sales. He consults with clients regarding potential transactions, negotiates agreements, assists with due diligence regarding property, title, and environmental matters, drafts or reviews loan documents, and represents clients at closing.
Michael’s broad experience with community associations ranges from small buildings to master-planned communities with golf courses, lake resorts and mixed-use residential and commercial developments. He assists with drafting and amending governing documents, declarant control and turnover, enforcing rules and covenants, and general corporate and management issues. Michael has served as President of the Minnesota Chapter of Community Associations Institute, and he is a member of the Minnesota Common Interest Ownership Act Committee of the MSBA Real Property Law Section and the Minnesota Legislative Action Committee of Community Associations Institute.
Among his successes, Michael:
- Represented a real estate development company in connection with property acquisition, financing, redevelopment and sale of build-to-suit projects for tenants in banking, retail and restaurant sectors with total project value exceeding $30 million
- Represented the developer of championship golf course community in connection with governing documents for master association and neighborhood associations, subdivision and sale of real estate, architectural control, and enforcement of rules and covenants
- Represented non-profit dental clinic in connection with real estate acquisition, financing and construction of multiple offices to serve low-income and minority patients
- Represented custom millwork company in connection with sale of manufacturing facility
A good transactions attorney has sufficient experience to identify the issues, ability to address each one, and judgment to determine if the risk or benefit justifies the expense.- Michael D. Klemm
EducationMichael earned his J.D. from the University of Minnesota Law School, cum laude, with honors in legal research and writing. He earned his undergraduate degree in Psychology from the University of Minnesota-Morris, with distinction, where he was a National Merit Scholar and a member of the Honors program.
University of Minnesota Law School
University of Minnesota-Morris
- Minnesota State Bar Association Board Certified Real Property Law Specialist
- Member of the MCIOA Committee of the Minnesota State Bar Association Real Property Law Section
- Member of the Minnesota Legislative Action Committee of Community Associations Institute
- Past President of Community Association Institute – Minnesota Chapter
- Shakopee Area Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors
- Past Chairman of the City of Shakopee Planning Commission
- Past Chairman of the City of Shakopee Board of Adjustment and Appeals
- Past Chairman of the City of Shakopee Environmental Advisory Committee
- Assistant Scoutmaster for Boy Scouts of America Troop 619