Biography: Joseph M. Barnett
An experienced litigator, Joe focuses primarily on construction litigation and construction defects. He has handled matters involving third-party complaints, professional liability, premises liability, breach of contract, negligence, insurance claims and coverage, personal injury and townhome/condo association law. Joe has also sought recovery through subrogation, representing clients in mediations and arbitrations at the appellate level, as well as handling the defense of claims through settlement and trial.
“Handling complex litigation involving numerous parties requires a broad range of abilities and experience because every case has unique twists,” explains Joe. “It’s my job to anticipate the unexpected and to navigate those issues to my client’s best advantage.”
I always seek to help my clients resolve their legal issues as economically as possible prior to investing in litigation. When we take that step, I strive to master the complexities of their case in order provide the most effective representation.- Joseph M. Barnett
EducationJoe earned his J.D. from the William Mitchell College of Law, where he was a member of the Student Bar Association. He completed his undergraduate studies at Florida Southern College, where he earned a B.S. in Sports Management.
William Mitchell College of Law
Florida Southern College
- Admitted to the Minnesota State and Minnesota Supreme Court Bar, and the U.S. District court for the District of Minnesota and the U.S. Court of Appeals, 8thCircuit.
- Member of the Minnesota State Bar Association, Sixth District Bar Association, Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association and Defense Research Institute.
- Named by Super Lawyer magazine to its 2011 and 2013 Minnesota Rising Starslist of attorneys, a roster that includes only 2.5% of young lawyers from the state.
- Participated in the Rosalie E. Wahl Moot Court Competition, and completed two courses at the National Institute of Trial Advocacy.
- Legal and Business Issues Affecting Contractors 2019
- Community Association Seminar Fall 2018
- Divorce Litigation from Start to Finish
- New Overtime Rules Seminar 2016
- Second Saturday Divorce Seminar
- Community Association Seminar Fall 2016
- Revocable Living Trusts from Start to Finish
- Entertainment Law
- Revocable Trusts from A to Z
- Business Decisions You Can Bank On
- Cyberliability Insurance Session
- Intellectual Property – Armor for Entrepreneurs
- Small Business Series: Wage and Hour Issues
- Mastering Fiduciary Accounting Income
- Small Business Series: Succession Planning
- Drafting IRA Trusts
- Proactive vs. Reactive: Charitable Giving Seminar
- 2017 Women’s Entrepreneurship Conference
- Small Business Series: Intellectual Property
- Community Association Seminar Spring 2017
- Trusts From A to Z
- 2017 Probate & Trust Law Conference
- What Can You Do With Property Nobody Wants?
- How Not to Get Sued
- Estate Planning: The Ultimate Guide
- How To Get It Done: A Homeowners Guide
- Accommodation Requests Under the Fair Housing Act
- Small Business Series: Business Banking
- Legal and Business Issues Affecting Contractors 2017
- Commercial RE Seminar: Environmental Due Diligence
- ABA Property Insurance Law Spring CLE Conference
- Community Association Seminar Spring 2018
- Preventative Maintenance & Const. Defect Claims
- Single Member LLCs
- Revocable Living Trusts 101
- Trust Taxation: The Ultimate Guide
- Legal and Business Issues Affecting Contractors 2018
- Intellectual Property: Start to Finish
- 2017 Greater Mankato MHA Conference and Trade Show
- Community Association Seminar Fall 2017
- Drafting IRA Trusts
- Small Business Series: Non-Competes & More
- Rochester Community Association Seminar 2017
- What’s Your End Game? Succession Planning
- Handling the Sale of a Business
- “Guilty Until Proven Innocent” Flooring Seminar