Biography: Jerome S. Rice
Since 1964, Jerome Rice has provided clients with professional and caring legal representation. Jerry carefully monitors his caseload so that he is able to dedicate the time and energy needed to provide each client with top-quality, personal representation, and keep them advised at every step of their case. As a result, he has developed warm and lasting friendships with many of his clients.
When appropriate, Jerry also affiliates other experienced lawyers from Hellmuth & Johnson to conduct research, assist with depositions and second chair at trial. “I’ve structured my practice so that my clients can be confident that they have all the resources of our firm on their side, as well as a compassionate shoulder to lean on and a caring hand to guide them through the legal process.”
Over the years, Jerry has successfully represented many clients throughout the upper Midwest in state and federal courts, in executive terminations, shareholder disputes, professional malpractice, business breakups, securities cases, agribusiness, banking, insurance disputes, fraud, defamation, and many other diverse cases. Several of his cases have resulted in multi-million dollar personal injury and wrongful death settlements on behalf of his clients.
Jerry has a Pre-eminent AV rating by Martindale-Hubbell. Jerry obtained his J.D. from Harvard Law School and completed his undergraduate studies at St. Olaf College.
- Obtained the largest civil rights verdict in Minnesota in Dick v. Watonwan County Social Services, et al.
- Successfully represented the Committee to Save the Roseau County Seat in state and federal district courts and the court of appeals.
- Successfully represented Marlin Torgeson in a shareholder control dispute for control of Casino Magic Corporation. (Holmes v. Torgeson).
- Jerry is the author of two law-related books and thousands of briefs and memoranda as well as occasional poetry, short stories and memoirs.
- Raven Avenging is his first novel — learn more about the book at jerryriceravenavenging.com.
I receive great satisfaction from vindicating the rights of people who have been wronged, and the successes I’ve achieved for my clients owe in part to my ability to represent them with equal effectiveness at the state or federal level, as determined by the circumstances of each case.- Jerome S. Rice
EducationJerry obtained his J.D. from Harvard Law School and completed his undergraduate studies at St. Olaf College.
Harvard Law School
St. Olaf College
- Licensed to practice law in the state of Minnesota, the U.S. District Court District of Minnesota; the U.S. Court of Appeals’ 8th and 9th Circuits; the U.S. Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit; and the U.S. Supreme Court
- Member of the American Bar Association, the Minnesota Association for Justice, the Minnesota Bar Association, the Hennepin County Bar Association, and the Hennepin County Bench & Bar Committee.
- Recipient of the preeminent “AV” rating (the Top Ranking for Attorneys) by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Named to the Minnesota Super Lawyers® list by Minnesota Law & Politicsmagazine; only 5% of attorneys in Minnesota are selected each year.
- Community Association Seminar Fall 2018
- Divorce Litigation from Start to Finish
- New Overtime Rules Seminar 2016
- Second Saturday Divorce Seminar
- Community Association Seminar Fall 2016
- Revocable Living Trusts from Start to Finish
- Entertainment Law
- Revocable Trusts from A to Z
- Business Decisions You Can Bank On
- Cyberliability Insurance Session
- Intellectual Property – Armor for Entrepreneurs
- Small Business Series: Wage and Hour Issues
- Mastering Fiduciary Accounting Income
- Small Business Series: Succession Planning
- Drafting IRA Trusts
- Proactive vs. Reactive: Charitable Giving Seminar
- 2017 Women’s Entrepreneurship Conference
- Small Business Series: Intellectual Property
- Community Association Seminar Spring 2017
- Trusts From A to Z
- 2017 Probate & Trust Law Conference
- What Can You Do With Property Nobody Wants?
- How Not to Get Sued
- Estate Planning: The Ultimate Guide
- How To Get It Done: A Homeowners Guide
- Accommodation Requests Under the Fair Housing Act
- Small Business Series: Business Banking
- Legal and Business Issues Affecting Contractors 2017
- Commercial RE Seminar: Environmental Due Diligence
- ABA Property Insurance Law Spring CLE Conference
- Community Association Seminar Spring 2018
- Preventative Maintenance & Const. Defect Claims
- Single Member LLCs
- Revocable Living Trusts 101
- Trust Taxation: The Ultimate Guide
- Legal and Business Issues Affecting Contractors 2018
- Intellectual Property: Start to Finish
- 2017 Greater Mankato MHA Conference and Trade Show
- Community Association Seminar Fall 2017
- Drafting IRA Trusts
- Small Business Series: Non-Competes & More
- Rochester Community Association Seminar 2017
- What’s Your End Game? Succession Planning
- Handling the Sale of a Business
- “Guilty Until Proven Innocent” Flooring Seminar