Biography: Jason S. Raether
Jason represents both small and large businesses. Whether a business is considering a lawsuit or has just been served with a complaint, he is ready to step in and defend its interests.
As an experienced employment and labor law attorney, Jason has represented employers defending claims of discrimination, harassment, and unpaid wages/commissions. He has defended businesses against complex multi-employer ERISA disputes and has brought claims against unions for violating labor laws. Jason has also litigated shareholder disputes on behalf of both minor shareholders and the board.
Jason will “fight city hall” on behalf of his clients, protecting their interests during condemnations, NLRB proceedings, tax disputes, and unemployment appeals. He has also obtained very favorable results challenging property taxes for both commercial and residential properties.
As a skilled and experienced appellate lawyer, Jason has brought appeals before the Minnesota Court of Appeals, the Minnesota Supreme Court, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit. He is involved in all aspects of a case, from beginning to end, and thus his clients experience continuity and reliability.
Jason’s legal background is extensive, and his management experience prior to law school gives him a unique understanding of the needs and concerns of business owners. He is an aggressive lawyer who also prides himself on communicating with his clients to develop strategies that complement their input and goals.
Among his successes, Jason:
- Achieved a very favorable settlement for a Minnesota hospitality business facing a lawsuit claiming discrimination, harassment, and retaliation
- Obtained a dismissal of an unemployment application based on the employee’s substantial disregard for employment
- Successfully challenged a property tax assessment, reducing the estimated value by millions of dollars, which resulted in significant tax savings
“Successful businesses understand the power of innovation, the value of flexibility and efficiency, and the importance of identifying and managing risk,” says Jason. “I bring the same sensibility to my law practice, developing strategies to help my clients achieve their objectives in the most effective, economical way possible while keeping them apprised of the potential risks and benefits of any course of action.”
Clients ranging from small, family-owned businesses to large, publicly and privately held entities benefit from Jason’s broad range of skills and deep-seated passion for the entrepreneur. “Business people are builders, and my job is to ensure the integrity of their legal underpinnings.”
Jason is admitted to practice in Minnesota state and federal courts.
As the son of small business owner, I know the value that entrepreneurs bring to a community and the sacrifices they make to succeed. I became a lawyer to lend my skills to theirs and to advance their immediate interests in ways that position them for greater success in the future.- Jason S. Raether
EducationJason earned a Juris Doctor at the University of St. Thomas School of Law, graduating magna cum laude. A native of Wisconsin, he earned his Bachelor of Arts from the University of Wisconsin, Madison.
University of St. Thomas School of Law
University of Wisconsin
- Admitted to practice in Minnesota’s State and Federal Courts
- Member of the Federal Bar Association, Minnesota State Bar Association and Ramsey County Bar Association
- Former judicial law clerk to the Honorable Judge Philip C. Carruthers, Minnesota Fourth Judicial District
- Former law clerk, Office of the Ramsey County Attorney, Civil Division