Biography: Chad A. Johnson
Chad Johnson is a founding partner of Hellmuth & Johnson, and serves as the firm’s Managing Partner. He founded Hellmuth & Johnson after just two years of practice, growing the firm on the strength of its loyal clients and experienced attorneys to become one of the 20 largest law firms in Minnesota.
Chad represents a broad range of businesses, corporations, limited liability entities and individuals in pursuit of their business, real estate and transaction goals. He primarily practices in the following areas:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Business entity selection, formation and maintenance
- Shareholder matters, including buy-sell agreements
- Strategic business and corporate counseling
- Real estate development and construction
- Real estate transactions and leasing
- Banking, finance and workout
- Community associations
For 18 consecutive years (2001 – 2018), Chad has been named to the Minnesota Super Lawyers® list; only five percent of attorneys in Minnesota are chosen each year. He is admitted to practice in the state and federal courts of Minnesota, and is a member of the Hennepin County Bar Association and the Real Property Law Section of the Minnesota State Bar Association. He holds certification as a MSBA Board Certified Real Property Law Specialist.
- Represented Minnesota-based trucking company in the sale of the company to a private equity investor.
- Represented family-owned winery and event company in the sale of both the company and real estate to a private equity investor.
- Represented restaurant company in the sale of a leasehold interest to a real estate developer in a seven-figure deal, the sale of a separate store location to a private equity investor and the acquisition of a new business venture.
- Represents a start-up company that now generates more than $40 million in revenue, advising its owner on a wide variety of business and personal legal matters.
- Represents a start-up company that was named one of Minnesota’s 50 fastest growing companies.
- Represented several related Real Estate Investment Trusts in the sales of commercial building holdings.
- Represented real estate developer in the acquisition of more than 100 acres of suburban real estate from multiple sellers for commercial development.
- Represented New York company in the acquisitions, and subsequent sales, of several unfinished condominium projects in the Minneapolis/St. Paul metropolitan area.
I am a dealmaker, guiding my clients to their goals. It’s tremendously helpful to have an attorney who has walked in your shoes. I started and grew a business from scratch, invested in real estate, and experienced the decisions and dedication to make those investments successful.- Chad A. Johnson
EducationChad earned his J.D. degree from the William Mitchell College of Law in 1992. He earned his B.A. degree in Economics from St. Olaf College in 1988.
William Mitchell College of Law
St. Olf College
- Chad is a MSBA Board Certified Real Property Law Specialist.
- For 18 consecutive years (2001-2018), Chad has been chosen for inclusion in the Minnesota Super Lawyers® list; only five percent of attorneys in Minnesota are chosen each year.
- Chad has served on the board of several industry organizations, and also shares his expertise with business leaders and fellow attorneys through continuing education programs and seminars.
- Legal and Business Issues Affecting Contractors 2019
- Community Association Seminar Fall 2018
- Divorce Litigation from Start to Finish
- New Overtime Rules Seminar 2016
- Second Saturday Divorce Seminar
- Community Association Seminar Fall 2016
- Revocable Living Trusts from Start to Finish
- Entertainment Law
- Revocable Trusts from A to Z
- Business Decisions You Can Bank On
- Cyberliability Insurance Session
- Intellectual Property – Armor for Entrepreneurs
- Small Business Series: Wage and Hour Issues
- Mastering Fiduciary Accounting Income
- Small Business Series: Succession Planning
- Drafting IRA Trusts
- Proactive vs. Reactive: Charitable Giving Seminar
- 2017 Women’s Entrepreneurship Conference
- Small Business Series: Intellectual Property
- Community Association Seminar Spring 2017
- Trusts From A to Z
- 2017 Probate & Trust Law Conference
- What Can You Do With Property Nobody Wants?
- How Not to Get Sued
- Estate Planning: The Ultimate Guide
- How To Get It Done: A Homeowners Guide
- Accommodation Requests Under the Fair Housing Act
- Small Business Series: Business Banking
- Legal and Business Issues Affecting Contractors 2017
- Commercial RE Seminar: Environmental Due Diligence
- ABA Property Insurance Law Spring CLE Conference
- Community Association Seminar Spring 2018
- Preventative Maintenance & Const. Defect Claims
- Single Member LLCs
- Revocable Living Trusts 101
- Trust Taxation: The Ultimate Guide
- Legal and Business Issues Affecting Contractors 2018
- Intellectual Property: Start to Finish
- 2017 Greater Mankato MHA Conference and Trade Show
- Community Association Seminar Fall 2017
- Drafting IRA Trusts
- Small Business Series: Non-Competes & More
- Rochester Community Association Seminar 2017
- What’s Your End Game? Succession Planning
- Handling the Sale of a Business
- “Guilty Until Proven Innocent” Flooring Seminar