Biography: Brian R. Christiansen
Brian is a business litigation and franchise attorney who takes great pride in advising entrepreneurs, businesses, franchisees, and other commercial entities on all kinds of legal issues they encounter on a daily basis. Whether starting a new company or resolving a legal dispute, his knowledge and attention to detail help clients achieve their goals in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
He represents clients in startup, employment, contract, and litigation matters. His employment counsel includes advising on best practices, employee termination, policies, handbooks, and risk mitigation. Moreover, he reviews prospective franchise opportunities, resolves disputes with franchisors, combats unlawful terminations, and handles other matters affecting the day-to-day business success of his franchisee clients.
When a dispute becomes inevitable, Brian is a powerful and pragmatic advocate. He has extensive experience representing clients in employment and noncompete disputes, commercial litigation, and intellectual property cases (including patent, copyright, and trademark) in state and federal courts, as well as in arbitration and mediation. Brian also defends businesses and community associations facing allegations of discrimination in employment and housing.
Some of Brian’s notable achievements include:
- Winning a preliminary injunction against a former employee who improperly solicited valuable clients of the employer
- Defending a custom product manufacturer, resulting in summary judgment and dismissal of breach of contract and other claims made by a former independent contractor
- Getting a $240,000 arbitration award on behalf of Minnesota business owners for underpayments on service contracts
- Obtaining summary judgment and a complete dismissal of claims against a law firm sued for malicious prosecution, abuse of process, and other tort claims
“My clients count on me as a trusted advisor not just for legal disputes, but for all matters affecting their life and business,” says Brian. “Whether I’m helping an entrepreneur with a business startup or advising a franchisee on an unlawful termination, clients trust my sound judgment, complete honesty, and dedication to achieving a favorable outcome that will help their businesses thrive.”
One of the real satisfactions of my profession comes from helping people and businesses navigate the complexities of the legal system to achieve the best and most economical results.- Brian R. Christiansen
EducationBrian graduated summa cum laude from Hamline University School of Law, where he served as Managing Editor of the Hamline Law Review. Brian earned his Bachelor degree from the Business Entrepreneurship program at the University of St. Thomas.
Hamline University School of Law
University of St. Thomas
- Seminar presenter for Minnesota businesses on pertinent issues, such as the Revised Limited Liability Company Act, and for property managers on the growing use of assistance animals in apartment and common interest communities
- Member of the Carver-Scott Humane Society Board of Directors
- “Rising Star” in 2016 and 2017, a designation which is part of the Minnesota Super Lawyers list, an honor bestowed on only 2.5% of Minnesota attorneys
- Volunteer at free legal clinics sponsored by the Minnesota Assistance Council for Veterans
- Former managing editor of the Hamline Law Review
- First-place winner in the Capstone Business Plan Competition at the University of St. Thomas