Biography: Blake R. Nelson
Blake’s clients don’t conduct business in a vacuum, nor does he take that approach to practicing law. “My clients don’t need me to duplicate their expertise; they count on my guidance when their business intersects with banking, lending, real estate, collections, and a myriad of other areas.”
He represents businesses in many industries, handling:
- Real estate purchases and sales
- Commercial leases
- Construction contracts
- Contractor licensing and enforcement
- Mechanic’s liens and bond claims
- Entity formation and agreements
- General corporate representation
- Loan documents
Business clients also retain Blake in a general counsel capacity, relying on his guidance in formulating creative strategies to maximize opportunity and minimize risk. His transactional practice includes the negotiation, drafting, and review of business documents, including:
- Business sale and purchase agreements
- Operating agreements and buy-sell agreements
- Shareholder and partnership agreements
- Independent contractor and sales representative agreements
- Joint venture agreements
Blake counsels and assists clients in every phase of creditor remedies, from reviewing and improving contracts and credit applications to recovering accounts receivables and obtaining and collecting judgments against debtors. Outside of his successful law practice, Blake also serves in other areas of the community and has been honored numerous times over the years.
Blake offers potential new clients a free 30-minute initial consultation either by phone or in person.
He is licensed to practice law in the Minnesota state and federal courts.
I strive to know my clients’ businesses as well as they do, but the real value I provide lies in my understanding of all the moving parts surrounding the business. My job is to see the bigger picture, which enables me to quickly and cost-efficiently analyze and address my clients’ needs.- Blake R. Nelson
EducationBlake earned his Juris Doctor from William Mitchell College of Law (now Mitchell Hamline College of Law). He graduated cum laude from Gustavus Adolphus College with a Bachelor of Arts, majoring in both English and Political Science.
William Mitchell College of Law
Gustavus Adolphus College
- Minnesota State Bar Association Certified Real Property Law Specialist, a designation held by a select few Minnesota attorneys
- AV peer-review rated by Martindale-Hubbell since 2005, the highest possible rating, which reflects professional excellence, several years of practice, and outstanding skill and integrity
- Former five-year member of the board of directors of a local Minnesota bank, whose original president and CEO called Blake an “outside the box thinker” who helped the new bank get on its feet and build a market presence
- Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal’s “40 Under Forty” top business leader in 2009
- Multiple-year member of the Minnesota Super Lawyers list, an honor bestowed on only 5% of Minnesota attorneys
- Six-year member and investigator for the Fourth District Ethics Committee, which provides recommendations to the Office of Lawyers’ Professional Responsibility on ethics cases
- Member of the Hennepin County and Minnesota State bar associations