Biography: Alec C. Sherod
Alec Sherod has extensive experience successfully representing both public and privately held companies across many industries. He primarily practices in the following areas:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Corporate finance
- Private equity and venture capital finance
- Commercial contracts
- Corporate strategy and governance
- Securities regulations
- Strategic corporate and business counseling
- Shareholder issues
In his practice, Alec assists buyers, sellers and financial advisors in a wide variety of domestic and international M&A transactions. He also represents clients in financing transactions, including advising issuers and investors in securities law compliance, handling acquisition financing for lenders, borrowers and investors and representing clients in private placements of equity and debt.
Clients note that Alec is a trusted advisor and key contributor in analyzing both legal and business issues.
Alec has been a notable member of the Twin Cities legal community for more than a decade and is admitted to practice in Minnesota, Colorado and New York. He began his legal career in the corporate department of a large New York City law firm and later served as General Counsel for a family office/private equity group in Colorado. Alec is also an experienced CPA (inactive) who leverages his accounting background when handling sophisticated financial transactions.
- Represented a marketing technologies company in its IPO, follow-on offering and registered direct offerings.
- Represented a foodservice company in the sale of the company to a private equity investor in an auction process.
- Represented a same-day, time-critical transportation and distribution/logistics services company in its preferred stock and secured note financing transactions.
- Represented a casino owner and operator in its corporate reorganization and initial public offering.
- Represented a U.S. real estate investment trust in its $100 million initial public offering of trust units.
- Represented NHL team owner in the sale of the team to a group of new investors.
- Represented the founders of a start-up software company with respect to various formation matters.
- Served as Principal American Liaison to a Canadian real estate investment trust focused on the ownership and operation of industrial properties in the U.S.
My previous experience as an accountant and general counsel allows me to better understand my client’s business and their unique concerns and issues. I enjoy providing clients with practical and relevant approaches that are based on opportunity and aren’t bogged down by focusing on what can’t be done.- Alec C. Sherod
EducationAlec earned his J.D. from the University of Iowa College of Law in 1994. He is also a CPA and received a B.B.A. in accounting from the University of Iowa.
University of Iowa
University of Iowa
- American Bar Association, Member
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
- Hennepin County Bar Association, Member
- Community Association Seminar Fall 2018
- Divorce Litigation from Start to Finish
- New Overtime Rules Seminar 2016
- Second Saturday Divorce Seminar
- Community Association Seminar Fall 2016
- Revocable Living Trusts from Start to Finish
- Entertainment Law
- Revocable Trusts from A to Z
- Business Decisions You Can Bank On
- Cyberliability Insurance Session
- Intellectual Property – Armor for Entrepreneurs
- Small Business Series: Wage and Hour Issues
- Mastering Fiduciary Accounting Income
- Small Business Series: Succession Planning
- Drafting IRA Trusts
- Proactive vs. Reactive: Charitable Giving Seminar
- 2017 Women’s Entrepreneurship Conference
- Small Business Series: Intellectual Property
- Community Association Seminar Spring 2017
- Trusts From A to Z
- 2017 Probate & Trust Law Conference
- What Can You Do With Property Nobody Wants?
- How Not to Get Sued
- Estate Planning: The Ultimate Guide
- How To Get It Done: A Homeowners Guide
- Accommodation Requests Under the Fair Housing Act
- Small Business Series: Business Banking
- Legal and Business Issues Affecting Contractors 2017
- Commercial RE Seminar: Environmental Due Diligence
- ABA Property Insurance Law Spring CLE Conference
- Community Association Seminar Spring 2018
- Preventative Maintenance & Const. Defect Claims
- Single Member LLCs
- Revocable Living Trusts 101
- Trust Taxation: The Ultimate Guide
- Legal and Business Issues Affecting Contractors 2018
- Intellectual Property: Start to Finish
- 2017 Greater Mankato MHA Conference and Trade Show
- Community Association Seminar Fall 2017
- Drafting IRA Trusts
- Small Business Series: Non-Competes & More
- Rochester Community Association Seminar 2017
- What’s Your End Game? Succession Planning
- Handling the Sale of a Business
- “Guilty Until Proven Innocent” Flooring Seminar