Wilbert V. Farrell IV resides in Northeast Ohio, serving as Of Counsel to Hellmuth & Johnson. Plaintiffs and defendants alike count on Bill for clear communication and compelling advocacy across the spectrum of civil litigation, from insurance subrogation and property and casualty insurance coverage, to land use, construction defect, family trust and estate, commercial litigation, and more.
“Good litigators excel both at crafting a persuasive legal argument and at communicating it to all parties, including clients, judges, juries, mediators, opposing counsel, and others,” explains Bill. “To do that, I have to be well-prepared, nimble on my feet, and succinctly articulate in my communication, both oral and written. And I have to do it in a compelling, cogent way for every case, for every client.”
Bill’s abilities are evidenced by his representation of:
- An insurer seeking to recover claims paid by commercial property insurers in a $5 billion subrogation action arising from the 9/11 terrorist attack, resulting in a highly favorable confidential settlement
- Plaintiff classes in Iowa and Wisconsin in indirect purchaser antitrust class actions, where plaintiffs alleged that a major software company had illegally monopolized and engaged in unreasonable restraints of trade for its operating system and productivity application software. Cases in both Iowa — following three months of trial — and Wisconsin resulted in advantageous settlements.
- Plaintiffs in a nationwide class action involving trespass claims brought by landowners against telecommunications carriers and railroads related to the installation of fiber optic cable along railroad rights-of-way
- Former insurance agents in defense of a breach of contract action and a counterclaim alleging breach of contract and fraudulent and negligent misrepresentation
- A first-party property insurer in multiparty litigation in the Superior Court of California, relating to major defects in the construction of the luxurious Bacara Resort and Spa in Santa Barbara
- A property owner in a multiparty breach of contract and negligence action resulting from a landslide and subsequent collapse of a major interceptor sewer line
- A Minnesota real estate developer in a business partnership dispute litigation, resulting in a favorable settlement
- Trustees and beneficiaries in many family trust and estate disputes, with an emphasis on family farm trust litigation, resulting in multiple favorable resolutions
Whether representing individuals or institutions, Bill relies upon both his analytical and interpersonal skills to understand all sides of a dispute. “No two situations — or clients —are the same,” he says. “The more keenly I can understand the nature of the dispute, my client’s perspective, and the perspectives of all involved, the more powerful my advocacy will be.”
He is licensed to practice law in the Minnesota and Ohio state courts and in the United States District Courts for the District of Minnesota, the Northern District of Ohio, the Southern District of Ohio, the District of North Dakota, and the Western District of Michigan.
Bill obtained his Juris Doctor from Vanderbilt University Law School. He graduated summa cum laude, and with university honors, from John Carroll University with a double major in Economics and Political Science.
- Member of the Minnesota, Hennepin County, Ohio, and Cleveland Metropolitan bar associations
- Former associate editor of the Vanderbilt Law Review
- Former member of the Vanderbilt Law School Moot Court Board Traveling Team
- “Best Oralist” for his superior oral advocacy skills at Vanderbilt Law School
- Recipient of a West Group Outstanding Graduate award for scholastic achievement