Unique needs demand extraordinary dedication. One size never fits all in wills, trusts and business succession plans. For that reason, we tailor our legal services for each individual to ensure the effective control, maintenance and disposition of their assets during life and after death.
On issues ranging from tax planning and asset preservation to business exit strategies, our estate planning attorneys in Minneapolis develop customized plans that meet each client’s unique goals in order to guide through the implementation of plans.
A will may meet the needs of many individuals, but for clients whose needs are best met through trusts, our trust lawyers have extensive experience creating a variety of trusts, including:
- Revocable living trusts: Often used to avoid probate and plan for future mental incompetency and disability while an individual is alive.
- Testamentary trusts: Created to provide for minor children.
- Qualified personal residence trust: Used to transfer a grantor’s residence out of the grantor’s estate in a tax-advantageous manner.
- Supplemental needs trusts: Preferred vehicle to meet the needs of disabled children.
- Irrevocable life insurance trusts: Enable life insurance policy holders to avoid estate taxes on policy benefits.
- Charitable remainder trusts: Designed to provide income – and, in many cases, tax savings – to the trustor and spouse, with the assets remaining after death passing to designated charities.
- Charitable lead trusts: May reduce beneficiaries’ taxes by having the trust contribute to charity for a specified period of time, with the trust assets returning to the trustor or heirs.
- Grantor retained annuity trusts (GRATs): After providing a donor with an annuity for a fixed time, assets pass to the beneficiaries (who must be family members).
Our Minneapolis estate planning attorneys handle estates of all sizes, representing individuals as well as business owners.
Questions? Contact us or request a meeting.
- Asset preservation and protection plans
- Business succession planning and owner control arrangements
- Personal estate planning, including drafting wills and establishing trusts
- Estate and trust administration
- Retirement, long-term care, disability and health care planning
- Estate, gift and fiduciary tax return services
- Hellmuth & Johnson attorneys named to the 2018 Minnesota Super Lawyers and Rising Stars lists 07.05.18
- Michele R. Loughrey Joins Hellmuth & Johnson as Estate Planning and Real Estate Partner 05.03.18
- Three Hellmuth & Johnson attorneys to present at MHA’s Working Together Conference 03.22.18
- Rachel Dahl presents on panel at Practical Farmers of Iowa Annual Conference 01.22.18
- Cole Hickman joins Hellmuth & Johnson’s Estate Planning and Business groups 01.11.18
- Rachel Dahl speaks at "Map of My Kingdom" farm transition planning event 11.13.17
- Rachel Dahl to present during webinar on "Farm Transfer Planning for the Next Generation" 10.16.17
- Scott Nelson featured in MNCPA Legislative Digest 09.04.17
- Hellmuth & Johnson attorneys named to the 2017 Minnesota Super Lawyers and Rising Stars lists 07.05.17
- Scott Nelson meets with Minnesota members of Congress in D.C. 05.30.17
- Rachel Dahl featured in Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal piece on Women in Law 05.26.17
- Rachel Dahl talks conservation and trust & estate planning with "The Practical Blog" 05.11.17
- Rachel Dahl to present on Business Succession Planning at Roundtable 01.24.17
- Thomsen Reuters publishes Scott Nelson article on Fiduciary Tax 09.30.16
- Scott Nelson and Rachel Dahl to speak on Charitable Planning 09.07.16
- Rachel Dahl presenting at Probate and Trust Conference 06.01.16
- Scott Nelson publishes article on Qualified Personal Residence Trusts 06.01.16
- Earl Cohen Talks Wills and Prince on KARE 11 04.27.16
- Jennifer Elston-Brondell to present in NBI Estate Planning Webinar 06.15.15
- Jennifer Elston-Brondell to speak at Pulmonary Fibrosis Support Group 04.06.15
- Scott Nelson to speak to MSBA on Minnesota Income Taxation of Partial Year Residents 01.22.15
- Charitable Contributions: Gifts That Will Keep on Giving in 2015 11.12.14
- Hellmuth & Johnson adds new partner Scott M. Nelson 01.27.14
- Effective Transitions of Privately Held Businesses 03.27.17
- Help Clients Pick the Right Successor Trustee 02.20.17
- Preparing for Incapacity and Death 11.21.16
- Estate planning without the death tax 11.10.16
- Transfers of family entity interests 09.13.16
- CRATs, valuation discounts, pet trusts and more 08.18.16
- Achieving a Better Life Experience (ABLE) Act legislation 06.06.16
- Using an IRA for Self-Directed Investments in Your Own Business or Real Estate 03.22.16
- The New Minnesota Trust Code: What Planners Need to Know 01.31.16
- Minnesota’s New Trust Code Provides Planning Opportunities 01.11.16
- Minnesota trust code - Part Four: Directed Trusts 12.09.15
- myRAs for “Starter” Savings 11.24.15
- Minnesota trust code: Decanting - Part Three 11.23.15
- Estates of Tom Clancy and Carl Pohlad 11.18.15
- Minnesota's new trust code provides planning opportunities 11.03.15
- IRS issues annual inflation adjustments for 2016 10.22.15
- Have you provided for your digital assets in your estate plan? 10.20.15
- Minnesota trust code: Unchanged provisions - Part Two 10.08.15
- New trust code adopted by Minnesota - Part One 09.25.15
- Choosing a Fiduciary - One of the Most Important Decisions of Your Estate Plan 08.24.15
- August is National Make a Will Month 07.27.15
- The Importance of an Estate Plan for Young People, Especially those with Children 07.20.15
- Proposed IRS regulations for ABLE accounts 06.26.15
- The Family Cabin - Will it Be There for the Next Generation? 05.25.15
- Achieving a Better Life Experience Act (ABLE) Accounts 03.19.15
- Protecting your assets without flying to Grand Cayman 03.02.15
- Financial Exploitation and Abuse of the Elderly 12.22.14
- Overview of 2014 Tax Increase Prevention Act 12.18.14
- Socially responsible investing and public benefit corporations 12.09.14
- Ethical Wills - your family culture and legacy 12.04.14
- The Changes Coming for LLCs 11.17.14
- Protecting your retirement plan for your beneficiaries 10.22.14
- Year-End Tax Planning for Individuals and Business Owners 10.02.14
- Inflation-adjusted 2015 figures for transfer tax and foreign items 09.18.14
- It's time to start your year end planning 08.27.14
- MN Tax Relief News 03.24.14
- Supreme Court will decide whether bankruptcy protection applies to inherited IRAs 01.16.14
- Better to give now (2010) vs. Making charitable contributions later (2011) 11.15.10