Stephanie is a civil litigation attorney who represents individuals and companies in various types of litigation, including commercial matters, construction defects, contract disputes, noncompete agreements, defamation, product liability, first- and third-party claims, no-fault and automobile claims, personal injury, and subrogation.
Her prior work experience gives her deep knowledge of the insurance industry, business transactions, and the court system. Before joining Hellmuth & Johnson, Stephanie vigorously represented insurance companies as a member of the subrogation team at an insurance defense firm. There, she sought damages for insurance companies after payments were made to their insureds for various claims, including construction defect and product liability. Stephanie brings her inside knowledge of insurance defense to her current representation of individuals and companies in disputes with insurance companies. Her clients also benefit from her insight into the workings of the judicial system, gleaned from her time as a judicial clerk.
Among her successes at Hellmuth & Johnson, Stephanie has represented:
- A homeowners association after the insurer denied a portion of a claim and significantly undervalued the other portion of the claim, resulting in a very favorable settlement that surpassed the client’s expectations
- A Minnesota construction company pursuing enforcement of a noncompete agreement, which resulted in a settlement enforcing the agreement
- Numerous Illinois homeowners associations to enforce the appraisal provision in the associations’ policies, resulting in litigation upholding enforcement in several cases
Stephanie believes it is important for both individuals and businesses to consult with an attorney early in a dispute to determine the best approach to expediently resolve the issues. “A good litigator will use his or her expert knowledge to help the client set the right expectations and plan accordingly from the beginning of the case to the end.”
She is licensed to practice in Minnesota and Wisconsin.
Stephanie is a graduate of Hamline University School of Law (now Mitchell Hamline College of Law). She obtained her undergraduate degree from DePaul University in Chicago, Illinois, majoring in Business.
- Former editor for the Journal of Public Law & Policy at Hamline
- Member of the William E. McGee Civil Rights Moot Court team in law school
- Recipient of a CALI Award in law school for the highest grade earned in Unincorporated Business Entities
- Judicial clerk for the Honorable Robert Walker, Minnesota Fifth Judicial District