Karl Johnson’s legal practice focuses primarily on bankruptcy law. He also has experience in general commercial litigation, often involving creditor-debtor disputes and collection efforts.
Karl represents a wide range of clients including individuals facing financial difficulty, small business owners, large businesses, and institutional creditors. He brings a broad range of experience to his practice thanks to his two years clerking for the Chief Bankruptcy Judge for the District of Minnesota and almost three years as staff counsel to the Standing Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Trustee for the District of Minnesota. Karl has appeared as attorney of record in thousands of bankruptcy cases and has successfully defended two appeals, one before the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota, and the other before the Bankruptcy Appellate Panel for the Eighth Circuit.
A magna cum laude graduate of the University of Minnesota Law School, Karl also has a M.A. in English Language and Literature from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. He earned his B.A. in Liberal Arts from Sarah Lawrence College in Bronxville, NY.
Karl graduated magna cum laude from the University of Minnesota Law School. He has a M.A. in English Language and Literature from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. He earned his B.A. in Liberal Arts from Sarah Lawrence College in Bronxville, NY.
- “When a Client Dies During Bankruptcy,” The Hennepin Lawyer Magazine, March 2016
- “Vesting With or Without Consent: Implications for Due Process,” National Association of Chapter Thirteen Trustees Quarterly Magazine, April 2016. (still in editing)
- Issue editor of the January issue of the Hennepin Lawyer Magazine.
- Presentation on the New Form Schedules, December 2015
- Presentation on Real Estate Issues in Chapter 13, November 2015
- Presentation on Basics of Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, October 2015
- Presentation on Bankruptcy Cases Before the Supreme Court, May 2015
- Presentation on Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Basics, May 2015
- Presentation on “Lien-Stripping” in Chapter 13, October 2013
- Admitted to practice in Minnesota state courts, the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, the Bankruptcy Court for the District of Minnesota, and the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Member of the Minnesota State Bar Association and the Hennepin County Bar Association.
- Member of the Pro Bono Committee of the Bankruptcy Section of the Minnesota State Bar Association.
- On the Editorial Committee of the Bankruptcy Bulletin issued by the Bankruptcy Section of the Minnesota State Bar Association.
- On the Editorial Committee of the Hennepin Lawyer Magazine.