Michael is the chair of Hellmuth & Johnson’s Business and Corporate Law practice group. His extensive background in business, management, technology, consulting and real estate allows him to meet the needs of businesses in various stages of growth, from startup/formation and rapid expansion, to exit transactions/strategies and, if necessary, restructuring, bankruptcy or dissolution. He has presented and lectured extensively on negotiation, bankruptcy, workouts, general business matters, and sales of assets (including distressed asset sales and 363 sales).
His clients range in size from the single freelance coder/developer to large publicly traded companies and include a variety of industries. Among them: banking, lending (including asset based and private lending), manufacturing, equipment, printing, retail, repair, construction, hospitality, restaurant/food service, food science, agriculture, trucking, transportation, import/export, distribution, trades, professional services, real estate, advertising, marketing, franchise, cosmetics, education, health, medical, medical device, development, web-based services, software, SaaS, mobile-application development and other technology-based and service industries. Michael believes that businesses should maintain an entrepreneurial mindset in order to remain competitive, while practicing "preventive law" to avoid damaging enterprise value and incurring major unexpected liabilities.
Michael earned his J.D. at the University of Minnesota Law School. He also completed the International Business Law program through Cornell Law School in China, focusing on international business transactions. Michael also earned extensive designations in the real estate and business arenas, including bankruptcy mediation training and the Credential of Readiness Certificate through Harvard Business School.
- Member of the Minnesota State Bar Association
- Member of the Hennepin County Bar Association
- Member of the Turnaround Management Association’s Awards Committee
- Admitted to Practice in the Supreme Court for the State of Minnesota
- Admitted to Practice in the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota
- Admitted to Practice in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Minnesota
- Admitted to Practice in the United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- Admitted to Practice in the Unites States Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of Illinois
- Admitted to Practice in the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- Qualified neutral under Rule 114 of the Minnesota General Rules of Practice
- Co-author and presenter, “Sale of Assets,” Bankruptcy Practice in Minnesota Deskbook, First Edition
- Development Committee Member for the University of Minnesota Law School
- Supervising Attorney for the Corporate Institute at the University of Minnesota Law School