Jason represents small and large businesses by negotiating contracts, defending their interests in litigation, and providing risk management techniques. As an experienced employment law attorney, Jason has represented employers defending claims of discrimination, harassment, and unpaid wages/commissions. He has also defended businesses against complex multi-employer ERISA disputes, and has brought claims against unions for violating labor laws. Jason will fight “city hall” on behalf of his clients, protecting their interests during eminent domain takings, Department of Labor & Industry (DOLI) investigations, tax disputes, and unemployment appeals. He has also successfully appealed property taxes for both commercial and residential properties. As a skilled and experienced appellate lawyer, Jason has brought appeals before the Minnesota Court of Appeals, the Minnesota Supreme Court, and the Eighth Circuit.
Jason’s legal background is extensive, and his management experience prior to law school gives him a unique understanding of the needs and concerns of business owners. He is an aggressive lawyer who stays ahead of important issues as they develop during any given matter, and prides himself on communicating with his clients in order to develop strategies that complement their input and goals.
“Successful businesses understand the power of innovation, the value of flexibility and efficiency, and the importance of identifying and managing risk,” says Jason. “I bring the same sensibility to my law practice, developing strategies to help my clients achieve their objectives in the most effective, economical way possible, while keeping them apprised of the potential risks and benefits of any course of action.”
Clients ranging from small, family-owned businesses to large, publicly and privately held entities benefit from Jason’s broad range of skills and deep-seated passion for the entrepreneur. “Business people are builders, and my job is to ensure the integrity of their legal underpinnings.”
Jason Raether earned his J.D. at the University of St. Thomas School of Law, graduating magna cum laude. A native of Wisconsin, he earned his B.A. from the University of Wisconsin – Madison.
- Winning Your Default Judgment Motion, Minnesota State Bar Association, May 2015
- Staying on Schedule: Understanding and Amending the Scheduling Order, HEARSAY, Fall 2014
- Drug War: International Law and its Impact on Counter-Narcotics, 9 U. ST. THOMAS L.J. 933 (Spring 2012)
- County Attorney’s Statutory Duties, Minnesota County Attorney’s Association (Rev. 2011)
- Admitted to practice in Minnesota’s State and Federal Courts
- Member of the Federal Bar Association, Minnesota State Bar Associate and Ramsey County Bar Association
- Former Judicial Law Clerk – Judge Philip C. Carruthers, Fourth Judicial District Civil Block– Minneapolis, MN
- Former Civil Law Clerk, Ramsey County Attorney’s Office – St. Paul, MN