Scott Nelson draws on more than 27 years of experience in trust and estates. He also has a background in business law and is a tax attorney whose ongoing involvement in the drafting of legislation relative to estate planning keeps him on the cutting edge of his field.
Clients ranging from individuals to family-owned businesses rely on Scott not only for his knowledge of the law, but for his approach to it – one predicated on trust and understanding, and focused on achieving outcomes that are cost-effective and responsive to clients’ needs while minimizing administrative costs, legal roadblocks, unexpected delays, and taxes of all kinds. Scott also coordinates with his clients’ other professionals to maximize team expertise, minimize professional fees where possible and ensure that clients receive proper counsel on both the legal and financial fronts.
Scott focuses on the client's heritage and family dynamics, business succession planning, coordinated estate planning for complex estates, and advising all types of families on transfer of assets as well as legacy and philanthropic planning. His practice also includes advising trust and estate fiduciaries (trustees and executors), beneficiaries and charitable organizations, and serving as an expert witness.
Curriculum vitae available upon request.
Scott graduated from St. John's University in 1981 with a B.S. in Accounting and Government (Political Science). He earned his CPA license while working at Arthur Andersen & Co. from 1981-1983, and obtained his J.D. from the University of Minnesota Law School in 1986, graduating Magna Cum Laude and Order of the Coif.
- Licensed to practice law in the states of Minnesota, Wisconsin and North Dakota
- Named to the Twin Cities' 2017 Five Star Financial Services Professtionals list
- Inducted into the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC)
- Former Chair of the Minnesota State Bar Association Probate and Trust Section Council
- Former chair of the Minnesota State Bar Association’s Legislation and Federal Tax Committees
- Frequent expert witness in trust and estate matters
- Member of numerous planned giving committees and a regular faculty member for continuing legal education
- Licensed CPA in the state of Minnesota
- AV Peer Review-rated by Martindale-Hubbell
We are so glad we found Scott. It couldn't have been handled better!Anonymous
I could not have asked for better service or advice.John
Planning was done efficiently and according to what my intentions are. Very knowledgeable on Estate Planning and explained items thoroughly.Anonymous
Scott was great to work with!Don and Pat
Scott Nelson was very professional yet very personable. We felt very comfortable with him.Anonymous