Denise practices in the employment law area and devotes a substantial portion of her practice to clients seeking long-term disability and other employee benefits. Over her 25-year career, she has gained special expertise with ERISA matters, both from her prior work for the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation and from her current legal practice. At Hellmuth & Johnson, she focuses on assisting disability claimants through all stages, including strategic planning before filing a claim, appealing and litigating denied claims, and assisting with ongoing claims and lump sum settlements.
“Generally speaking, ERISA is unfriendly to plaintiffs. To prevail, an attorney has to be both detail oriented and passionate,” explains Denise. “The earlier a claimant seeks assistance the better, given the complexities of ERISA and its many pitfalls.”
In addition to successfully representing hundreds of disabled clients, Denise practices a wide range of general employment law, representing clients in matters involving discrimination, employment contracts, noncompete agreements, and wrongful termination.
Denise is licensed to practice in Minnesota state and federal courts.
Denise graduated from Hamline University School of Law (now Mitchell Hamline School of Law). She earned her undergraduate degree from Minnesota State University, Mankato, majoring in Business Administration.
- Six-year tenure as senior attorney with the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation, a federal governmental agency in Washington, D.C., which protects the retirement incomes of nearly 40 million American workers
- Frequent speaker on ERISA and employment law litigation, with a particular focus on disability issues
- Board member, Arthritis Foundation (2007-2017)
- Volunteer attorney, National Multiple Sclerosis Society
- Former judicial law clerk to the Honorable Pamela Alexander, Minnesota Fourth Judicial District
- Minnesota Super Lawyer since 2007, selected on the basis of peer recognition and professional achievement