Mick wields years of experience working with artists, entertainers, media figures and athletes, as well as entrepreneurs and organizations in the creative realm. As a partner at Hellmuth & Johnson and member of the intellectual property, art, entertainment, media and sports law practices, he assists individuals and entities of all sizes on issues including:
- Copyright, Trademark, Patent, Trade Secrets & Right of Publicity/Privacy
- Asset acquisitions, licensing and protection
- Complex, multi-party litigation, including class-actions
- Commercial disputes of all varieties
- Estate counsel & probate litigation
Mick’s extensive litigation experience involves entertainment assets, businesses, talent and their careers. His commercial litigation experience includes shareholder and partnership disputes, infringement actions, class actions, trade secret protection, fraud, unfair competition and even estate or probate disputes.
“I was born for this line of work,” says Mick. “In addition to being raised by a litigator, I’m an entrepreneur with a history in the arts. Innate interest combined with years of experience gives me real insight into my clients’ needs. It’s one of the reasons I’m proactive and strategic in advising my clients and so zealous in defending them. I connect to artists and entrepreneurs, and get immense satisfaction from helping them thrive.”
Mick received a business degree from the Entrepreneur Program at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles. He left the sun, sand & smog behind, returning to his home state of Minnesota, to earn his J.D. from William Mitchell College of Law.
- Licensed to practice law in Minnesota’s Federal and State Courts, as well as the Courts of New York, Florida, Texas and Utah.
- Named to the Minnesota Super Lawyers list. Only 5% of Minnesota attorneys earn this recognition.
- Named multiple times to the Minnesota Rising Stars list by Minnesota Law & Politics magazine. Only 2.5% of young attorneys in the state are selected each year.
- Member of the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (the Grammy® organization), the Association of Media & Entertainment Counsel, the Forum of Entertainment and Sports Industries of the ABA and the Art & Entertainment Section of the MSBA, serving as its Chairperson.
- Twice elected as President of the Minnesota Music Academy, where he produced the Minnesota Music Awards.
- Appointed by Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak to serve and advise on the Minneapolis Arts Commission.
- Has taught college courses in Copyright, Music Publishing and Contract Law.
- Frequently speaks and writes on business and legal issues, including the evolving entertainment industry and litigation developments.