Blake’s clients don’t conduct business in a vacuum, nor does he take that approach to practicing law. “My job is to see the bigger picture – because there’s always a bigger picture,” he says. “My construction clients don’t need me to duplicate their expertise; they count on my guidance where their business intersects with banking, lending, real estate, collections, and a myriad of other issues they face."
“Seeing the larger landscape enables me to analyze my clients’ needs faster and more fully, and to address them more effectively and cost-efficiently.”
Blake works with a diversity of businesses, primarily in the construction, real estate, banking and finance sectors, where he focuses on:
- Real Estate law, purchases and sales
- Construction law and mechanic's lien law
- Construction contracts
- Entity formation and agreements
- General corporate representation
- Creditor remedies
Clients also retain Blake in a general counsel capacity, relying on his guidance in formulating creative strategies to maximize opportunity and minimize risk. As such, his services encompass a wide range of transactional matters including:
- Business sale and purchase agreements
- Operating agreements and buy-sell agreements
- Shareholder and partnership agreements
- Independent contractor and sales representative agreements
- Joint venture agreements
For his entire career, Blake has counseled and assisted creditors in recovering accounts receivable, having represented both businesses and collection agencies. He assists clients in every phase of creditor remedies, from reviewing and improving contracts and credit applications to obtaining and collecting judgments against debtors.
Outside of his successful law practice, Blake also serves in other areas of the community and has been honored numerous times over the years.
Blake obtained his J.D. magna cum laude from William Mitchell College of Law and graduated cum laude from Gustavus Adolphus College with Bachelor of Arts degrees in English and Political Science. He is licensed to practice law in the State and Federal courts in Minnesota and is a member of the Hennepin County and Minnesota State Bar Associations.
Blake offers a free 30 minute initial consultation to potential new clients and is happy to discuss new matters by phone or in person.
- Blake is a Minnesota State Bar Association (MSBA) Board Certified Real Property Law Specialist, a designation held by a select few Minnesota attorneys. He represents many commercial real estate investors, owners and developers and provides counsel regarding their purchase, sale and leasing transactions. He also has extensive experience in handling and structuring tax deferred real estate exchanges under Section 1031 of the Internal Revenue Code (26 U.S.C. § 1031).
- Since 2005 Blake has been AV® Peer Review Rated – the highest possible peer review rating from Martindale-Hubbell™. An AV Rating shows that a lawyer has reached the height of professional excellence, has usually practiced law for many years, and is recognized for the highest levels of skill and integrity.
- Blake is also the chief author and editor of the quarterly publication The Authority on Construction Law and the author of Construction Liens: A National Review and Template for a Uniform Lien Act, published in the William Mitchell College Law Review.
- Blake previously served on the Board of Directors of a local Minnesota bank for its first five years in existence. The bank’s president and CEO called Blake an "outside of the box thinker" who helped the new bank get on its feet and build a market presence.
- In 2009, Blake was honored as one of the Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal's "40 Under Forty" top business leaders.
- Blake has repeatedly been chosen for inclusion in the Minnesota Super Lawyers® list (2003-2017), only 5% of attorneys in the state of Minnesota are selected each year.
- Blake served for six years on the Hennepin County Fourth District Ethics Committee as a member and investigator.