Terry has 29 years of experience representing businesses and individuals in Minnesota and North Dakota in a wide variety of legal matters. His unique background and experience in the areas of law and business provide Terry the tools to solve all types of problems, big and small.
He deploys his negotiation skills every day as a fixer, advisor, and litigator for closely held businesses and individual owners. In addition, he serves as outside general counsel and business litigator for clients in a variety of industries. Terry negotiates and litigates critical matters involving business disputes of all kinds including partner conflicts, workouts, and contract fights. His experience and willingness to take cases to trial often motivates the other side to a make a reasonable settlement. In his transactional practice, he helps businesses with critical financing, transactions, and real estate matters as well as more routine business documents like leases, sales agreements, and employment contracts.
Terry advises business clients in a variety of sectors, with concentrations in oilfield services, media, sports, health care, and real estate. Drawing on his industry experience and negotiation skills, as well as his background as an entrepreneur, Moore provides counsel in areas ranging from contract negotiations and employment matters to the sale and acquisition of businesses, real estate, regulatory issues, and many other matters.
A sampling of Terry’s successful representations demonstrates his skills:
- Led negotiations between a major league baseball team and a radio station, resulting in the most lucrative radio rights contract in Minnesota sports at that time
- Helped a screenwriter/director find investors, obtain bridge financing, and navigate complex legal requirements, resulting in the production of an award-winning independent film
- Defended a business against a wrongful termination and breach of contract claim at trial and on appeal, resulting in a favorable verdict for the former employer
- Represented a minority business owner who was terminated and had his business ownership seized by his former partners, resulting in a negotiated settlement in excess of $600,000
- Represented a managing partner of a limited partnership who had been terminated and had his assets claimed by investors in the wake of the Bernie Madoff scandal, resulting in negotiated agreements that returned 100% of the assets
- Exercised a clients’ shareholder’s rights and negotiated a sale of a business in favor of his clients in excess of $1.3 million
- Assisted a trade group in forming a business alliance to lobby and defeat a proposed special tax to fund a professional sports stadium
- Commenced an arbitration action on behalf of a company, allowing it to break even after obtaining a final contract payment owed the company and a 80% discount on an operating loan
- Negotiated a $2 million settlement for two partners, who together owned 50% of a partnership involved in real estate development and had been frozen out by the other partners
“Throughout my career I have helped clients achieve their objectives by negotiating effectively on their behalf,” says Terry. “It’s the key to transforming desired outcomes into tangible results.”
Terry is licensed to practice in Minnesota and North Dakota.
Terry obtained his Juris Doctor from the University of Minnesota and earned a Bachelor of Science in Government from St. John’s University.
- Authored “Big Force Negotiation: The Eight Skills You Need to Negotiate With Power,” a book about primary negotiation skills
- Won a television Emmy award for "Legal Lowdown" as a part of the “Game On!” program
- Hosted “Big Force Radio,” a program aired by station KQRS, Minneapolis
- Frequently lectures on topics, including negotiation tactics, ethics, health care marketing boundaries, and broadcasting
- Honored as “Attorney of the Year” by Minnesota Lawyer in 2006
- Included on the Minnesota Super Lawyer list numerous times, an honor only 5% of attorneys in Minnesota are named each year
- Named a “Leading Minnesota Healthcare Attorney” by Minnesota Physician in 2005
- Awarded the Minnesota State Bar Association’s President’s Award in 2003
- Formerly chaired both the Minnesota State Bar Association’s Civil Litigation section and the Entertainment Law section
- Maintains memberships in the Rotary Club, the Agricultural and Rural Law section of the Minnesota State Bar Association, and the Minnesota Broadcasters Association
- Organizer and part owner of Da Beauty League, a summer hockey league for professional hockey players
- Serves as Director of the Minnesota Blades AAA Hockey Club