Robert helped build Hellmuth & Johnson’s litigation practice to find solutions that others don’t think of. “I work closely with both litigators and transactional attorneys at Hellmuth & Johnson to make sure that any client I represent receives a second set of experienced eyes on every matter we handle. Some other firms may have more diverse practices, but I don’t know of any that embrace complexity with creative thinking the way we do,” he says. “I love it when someone who has a tough problem, and who’s getting pushed around and bullied, comes in and says, ‘I need a bulldog.’”
As chair of the firm’s litigation practice and an active member of the real estate, construction, and business law practices, Robert channels his tenacity and imagination on behalf of Minnesota, North Dakota, and Illinois clients who face a variety of legal issues, including:
- Complex multiparty litigation
- Commercial disputes, including real estate conflicts, shareholder disputes, trade secret protection matters, probate disputes, and large-scale tort actions
- Mortgage loan repurchases and buy-back litigation
- Construction disputes, including construction defect matters
- Corporate law and litigation
- Insurance claims, including those for property damage
- Probate litigation
- Land use, mineral right, and real estate disputes
Robert has extensive commercial litigation experience in matters involving real estate conflicts, shareholder disputes, trade secret protection, probate disputes, and large-scale tort actions in Minnesota and North Dakota. His construction practice involves the representation of a significant number of clients faced with construction defect allegations or claims, as well as representing property owners and community associations in insurance claims for property damage.
Robert is licensed to practice law in Minnesota, North Dakota, Illinois, the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit.
Robert obtained his Juris Doctor from Golden Gate University School of Law. He earned a Bachelor of Arts at the University of Minnesota, majoring in History.
- Minnesota Super Lawyer (2008-2017), an honor bestowed on only 5% of attorneys in Minnesota each year
- Member of the Minnesota and Hennepin County bar associations
- Frequent speaker and author on many legal issues, including construction law and litigation matters
- Recipient of the Criminal Law Award for academic excellence while in law school