Earl Cohen focuses his practice in the broad areas of estate, business, asset protection planning, and estate administration, assisting his individual and business clients with the organization, operation and, when necessary, financial reorganization of their business and/or individual interests.
Earl regularly provides professional business clients with asset protection strategies as part of their estate and business plans, and advises fiduciaries and beneficiaries on their obligations and rights. He also serves as counsel and special advisor to businesses ranging from food production to high-tech computer manufacturing and software.
“Listening is essential to doing good work,” explains Earl. “I need to listen closely to determine if my client’s goals are achievable. And close listening is crucial to strategic planning and efficient execution.”
Clients also benefit from his four decades of legal and business experience, the integrity Earl brings to respecting client confidences, and the powerful, wide-ranging analytical skills he deploys in helping new and emerging businesses grow their enterprises.
“Whether I’m providing individuals with estate planning or assisting a business or not-for-profit entity with a refinancing or capitalization strategy,” says Earl, “my objective is to deliver on the promise I made to my clients at the outset – that I would listen to them and give everything I have to achieving their goals.”
Earl earned his J.D. at the University of Minnesota Law School. He earned his B.S., with distinction, in Business Administration at the University of Minnesota.
- Admitted to practice in the State of Minnesota, the District of Columbia, the U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, the U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, and the U.S. Tax Court.
- Member of the Hennepin County Bar Association, the Minnesota State Bar Association, the American Bar Association, the Financial Planning Association, the International Association for Financial Planning and the Financial Planning Association (Counsel).
- Named repeatedly to the Minnesota Super Lawyers® list, including 2017; only 5% of attorneys in Minnesota are selected each year.
- Named repeatedly a “Top 40 Trust & Estate Planning and Elder Law Super Lawyer” by Minnesota Law & Politics magazine.
- Since 1995 Earl has served on the Board of Directors of United Systems Technology, Inc., a publicly traded software development firm in Dallas, Texas.
- From 1978-1986 Earl served as Chairman for Kensington Properties, Inc., a full service real estate development and management company specializing in property rehabilitation and secondary markets with successful developments throughout the Upper Midwest and North Dakota, Minnesota, Illinois and Missouri.
- Frequently teaches classes and leads seminars on a wide variety of legal issues.